Wifi Smoke Detectors: How Do They Work? Where To Install Them?
The WiFi smoke detector device can also send an alarm to the connected device such as a smartphone or tablet when you are absent, or an emergency call can be sent directly to the fire department. In times of the smart home, devices networked via WLAN offer additional functions and security measures.
Working of a WiFi smoke detector
- Smoke detectors usually use a photoelectric cell to generate smoke, which means that they see the smoke through a small lens. Since they are only set to smoke, false alarms caused by water vapor, for example, are almost impossible with modern devices.
- Alternatively, the devices measure the amount of CO in the air and determine a corresponding increase such as occurs when a fire breaks out.
- The alarm is usually given by a loud signal tone. Smoke detectors connected via WLAN can, however, also send a notification to a connected device or directly to the fire brigade
- The built-in batteries are usually commercially available 9 V battery blocks or permanently installed lithium-ion batteries with a service life of around 10 years. After this period has expired, the entire device is usually replaced.
- In addition, smart home detectors often offer additional functions such as an integrated alarm function in the event of a break-in or the triggering of the warning siren for all other connected smoke detectors.
Where to install a WiFi Smoke Detector
As minimum protection, a smoke detector should be installed in the bedroom, children’s room, and in the central hallway. It is important here that the detector in the corridor not only secures the escape route to the outside but also secures the surrounding rooms. For optimal prevention, however, smoke alarms should also be available in living rooms and workrooms, because statistically speaking, this is where it burns the most and also the fastest.
Smoke detectors in the kitchen or bathroom are not recommended. Although there are now smoke detectors that can compensate for the strong false alarm factors caused by water vapor, the natural wear, and tear of the devices are still being strongly promoted here, as grease and liquids settle in the device and thus permanently damage it. Our recommendation here is: It is better to install a smoke detector in the access corridor to the kitchen or in the dining combination area in order to receive an early warning of a fire.
Click here – Expert Wallpaper Singapore Design Choices
How do the detectors have to be installed?
Smoke detectors do not belong on the wall, but on the ceiling – because fire smoke rises upwards. Only there can a smoke detector detect the smoke as quickly as possible. In addition, the smoke detector should ideally be installed in the middle of the room in order to be able to offer optimal prevention on all sides.
The recommended type of installation
Dowels and screws are included with every smoke detector as mounting material. The use of adhesive pads or double-sided magnetic pads is often possible and just as safe as mounting with the hole.